Meet SPUD ambassador Karmen McNamara. She is a triathlete for Team Canada who is passionate about making this world better. She is currently the BC provincial champion for Sprint Triathlon and is scheduled to race at the ITU World Championships in Cozumel, Mexico in September 2016. Recent highlights include ITU Edmonton (2nd), BC Sprint Triathlon Provincial Championships (1st) and the Chinook Half Iron Triathlon (6th).
Read on to find out how she has dedicated herself to not wasting our environment:
When we moved from Calgary to Victoria, we immediately noticed a change in the culture. No longer was it socially acceptable to get plastics bags from the grocery store. Many people biked to work, and our staff room had a compost bin – that was full every day.
In the past year and a half, living in Victoria has taught me a lot about how each person can make an impact through some simple daily habits.
I challenge you to adopt one or two (or maybe all 12!) for 2016.
#LetsNotWaste our environment!
- Carry a re-usable water bottle or coffee mug instead of buying disposable with your drinks.
- Sign up for freecycle.org and give items that you no longer need to those who can use them.
- Commit to buying more of your groceries locally.
- Carry reusable shopping bags.
- Bike, walk, or take transit to work instead of driving.
- Install an indoor clothesline.
- Package leftovers and take them for lunch the very next day so that they don’t get forgotten and wasted.
- Say no to receipts on most purchases.
- Sign up to receive bills and bank statements online instead of in the mail.
- Grow your own vegetables.
- Save food containers and use them to store everything from leftovers to hardware instead of buying new ones.
- Buy everyday clothing and household goods from a thrift shop instead of a department store.
Together – we can make a difference.
Triathlete for Team Canada
Current BC provincial champion