Brown butter, also known as “beurre noisette”, is one of those ingredients that seem to be reserved only for fine-dining occasions. But the truth is, it’s probably the easiest “secret” ingredient you can make at home. The only ingredient you need is butter. Brown butter is literally just butter that’s cooked past the melting point until the water content has completely evaporated, leaving the milk solids to turn brown.
Although this nutty, aromatic butter is simple and easy, it brings a certain boost of flavour that is anything but ordinary. From pasta, to salad dressings, to vegetables, to desserts, brown butter will have your guests begging for seconds. You will definitely want this delicious ingredient ready in your fridge for any parties you have coming up!
Here are the steps you need to follow to avoid burning the butter.
1. Cut butter into smaller pieces to allow even melting.
2. Begin by melting butter over medium heat in a pan—preferably with a light-coloured bottom to monitor the browning progress.
3. Allow the butter to melt evenly by swirling the pan lightly as needed.
4. Keep a close watch as the butter begins to foam and change colours from light yellow all the way to a nutty brown.
5. Remove the pan from heat as soon as you begin to smell the toasted, nutty aroma. Transfer the butter into a bowl and allow it to cool.
6. At this point, you’ll see milk solids that have been browned. You can use a meshed strainer to filter them out, or leave them in the butter for a robust, toasty flavour.
7. Store your brown butter in the refrigerator to keep fresh. For easy access, pour it into an ice cube tray to make cubes!
And that’s it! Brown butter perfection. Don’t save your brown butter for only recipes that call for brown butter. Try using it in place of any recipe that calls for regular butter, even your simple breakfast toast! The toasty and nutty aroma is especially perfect for the holiday season. What are your favourite recipes that you like to use brown butter for?
Try making this delicious Pumpkin Ravioli with Brown Butter Sauce and Pecans with your new secret ingredient!