With a global annual production of over 31 million tonnes in 2011, cantaloupes are easily one of the most popular melons in the world–and for very good reasons! As the saying goes, beauty is more than skin-deep, and the cantaloupe comes with amazing nutritional benefits despite its abrasive and rough outer appearance. And they taste delightful, especially now that the weather is warming up.
Cantaloupe’s Nutritional Benefits
With a refreshing sweetness and high water content, cantaloupes are easily one of summer’s favourite fruits. It is a rich source of fibre, vitamin A, vitamin B-complex, vitamin C, and minerals including calcium, iron, zinc, magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium. In addition to this, it is very low in calories, so not only does this make cantaloupes the perfect dessert for your kids, you also won’t have to feel guilty munching down this delicious melon.
Cantaloupe boasts a long list of powerful antioxidants, including carotene, lutein, zeaxanthin, and cryptoxanthin; these powerful antioxidants come with supreme benefits: eye-health maintenance, UV-ray protection, and various forms of cancer protection including prostate, breast, endometrial, lung, and pancreatic. This aromatic melon also helps in controlling diabetes, providing protection from heart disease, regulating blood pressure, and relieving inflammations.
Cantaloupe Sorbet Recipe
Find some ripe cantaloupes, and try this amazing and easy-to-make cantaloupe sorbet!
What you need:
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
3 cups diced cantaloupe (peeled and de-seeded)
How to prepare:
- In a saucepan, dissolve the sugar in the water over medium heat then bring to a boil.
- Transfer into a separate dish and let cool for a couple hours.
- Puree cantaloupe in a blender until smooth.
- Pour into the dish of sugar and syrup, and mix until even.
- Freeze for at least three hours while stirring occasionally.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl then use an electric beater to make it light and fluffy.
- Freeze for at least another three hours without stirring.
- Enjoy your fruity, sweet, and refreshing sorbet!
Take advantage of summer for cantaloupe’s full flavour. Let us know how you like to enjoy these beauties! By itself as it is? In a fruit salad? Or as a sorbet?
|ORGANIC CANTALOUPE TASTES BETTER.|