For many apple lovers, Fuji apples are the apples to beat. These apples are large in size and are known for their superior sweet, crisp, and dense flesh compared to many other apple varietals. The Fuji apple is a hybrid of Red Delicious and Virginia Ralls Genet that was developed in the late 1930s in the town of Fujisaki, and then presented to the market in 1962. Since then, Fuji apples have reached an unrivalled popularity in Japan, and is cultivated in many parts of the world.
It’s hard to mention apples without talking about their health benefits.
And like all other apples, the Fuji apples are as nutritious as they is delicious. Aside from the high vitamin C and fibre content that this fruit is known for, did you know that apple also helps regulate blood-sugar levels with its antioxidants and fibre by slowing down digestion? A study conducted on over 38 000 women also showed that the consumption of one or more apples per day lowers the risk of developing Type 2 diabetes by 28%.
Apples also have the ability to lower blood cholesterol and reduce the risk of dying from a heart disease. In Finland, a study showed that women and men who consume more than 54 grams of apples per day have a 43% and 19% lowered risk, respectively, of dying from a heart disease.
Antioxidants come with tremendous benefits, and those found in apples are no exception. A study, “Does an apple a day keep the oncologist away?” reported that the consumption of at least one apple a day lowers the risk of colorectal cancer by 20%, and breast cancer by 18%.
Apple Cinnamon Roll Recipe
When life gives you apples, pair them with cinnamon. You already know we love anything cinnamon swirly–in case you missed our cinnamon swirl pie crust–so here’s a scrumptious apple cinnamon roll recipe for you to try.
What you need:
4 cups flour
2.5 tbsp baking powder
1 cup warm milk
1 large egg
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1/4 cup melted butter
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups apples diced
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 cup butter melted
How to prepare:
- Mix milk, butter, and egg in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, maple syrup, and salt together. Combine the two mixtures and mix well until all ingredients are evenly immersed.
- Knead the bread several times then roll it out.
- In the meantime, in a separate bowl, mix the filling ingredients together.
- Spread the filling ingredients evenly out on the rolled out dough.
- Slowly roll the dough up into a log, then cut out 1.5-inch pieces.
- Place on a greased baking pan in a preheated oven of 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let it set for 15 minutes, allowing the cinnamon maple mixture to soak into the buns.
Imagine snuggling by the fireplace to this warm dish of apple cinnamon roll on a cold, stormy day. Nothing screams cosy and comfort more than that combination. Share with us your favourite apple recipes!