One of my favourite things about baking is the aroma of freshly baked goods that fills the room. Of course, there’s always the relaxing aspect of baking, eating the dough then finally devouring an entire batch of warm, soft cookies. But one of the worst things about baking is that my dog will relentlessly gaze up at me with his puppy eyes the entire time–it’s almost heartbreaking. Unfortunately, there are a lot of human foods that dogs should never ingest, so most of the time, he’d resort to his regular dog biscuits.
The good news is, there are many delicious human foods like peanut butter that are perfectly healthy for Fido. This means that dog-friendly treats can easily be made in your own kitchen, and your dog won’t have to feel left out when you’re munching up freshly baked cookies.
The next time you’ve got the oven going, don’t forget to make these homemade dog treats because Fido deserves fresh, delicious, and healthy munchies too.
Recipes for healthy and delicious homemade dog treats.
Peanut Butter and Bacon Biscuit
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
6 tbsp milk
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tbsp baking powder
2 1/2 tbsp rolled oats
1-2 strips cooked bacon diced
How to prepare:
1. Preheat oven to 325℉, and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, add peanut butter, milk, and egg, and whisk until reaching an even consistency before adding the flour and baking powder.
3. When the dough becomes heavy, add in the bacon bits and oats by spreading them out.
4. Roll out the dough, and cut them into desired shapes using a cookie cutter or a knife. Place them on the parchment-lined baking sheet, and bake for 20 minutes. Flip over each cookie, and bake for another 10 minutes.
5. Allow your cookies to cool before passing them to your pup! These will last for about a week in the refrigerator, or at room temperature for a few days.
Apple Peanut Butter Oat Cookie
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup organic applesauce
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 tsp baking powder
4 tbsp coconut oil
Fresh apples, diced (optional)
How to prepare:
1. Preheat oven to 350℉ degrees, and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, whisk all the applesauce, peanut butter, and coconut oil before adding the remaining ingredients except fresh apples. Mix until even, forming a heavy dough.
3. Spread out the optional freshly cut apples and roll out the dough. Cut them with a cookie cutter or knife into desired shapes.
4. Place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for about 25 minutes.
5. Allow to cool completely before serving them to your dog! Store in the fridge for up to a week, or at room temperature for a few days.
Banana Parsley Peanut Butter cookie
1 cup oat flour
1/4 cup applesauce
2/3 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup dried parsley
4 tbsp peanut butter
How to prepare:
1. Preheat oven to 325℉ degrees, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, mash up peeled banana, and mix in oat flour, oats, parsley, peanut butter, and applesauce until even.
3. Once a dough is formed, roll it out to cut it into desired shapes before transferring onto the parchment-lined paper.
4. Bake the cookies for 20 minutes. Flip them over and bake for another 10 minutes.
5. Allow the cookies to cook completely before treating your dog. Store in the fridge for up to a week, or at room temperature for a few days.
Have you tried making homemade dog treats for your pup at home? Share with us your best recipes and favourite ingredients!