This is your one week notice – Mother’s Day is coming up! The holiday tends to bring up standard images of flowers and breakfasts in bed, but aside from that, what is it really about? Why do we celebrate it?
Mother’s Day was created by Anna Jarvis, an American woman who was devastated by the death of her own mother in 1903. She was so moved by the cards and letters praising her mother that she received after her death that she decided to promote a day to honor all mothers. Her goal for the day was to encourage sons and daughters to spend time with their moms, and to express what they appreciate about them. We couldn’t agree more with that sentiment! Instead of picking up some random flowers and a store-bought card, we should be showing moms how much we care by helping them to spend a day the way they would want, and telling them all the things we love about them.
We asked a few SPUD moms what they wanted for Mother’s Day, and the responses were pretty varied, but they all sound like awesome plans:
- Fresh pressed orange juice to go with some champagne.
- GMO-free seeds and time to start planting a garden with my kids.
- Breakfast in bed with jams, toast, and great coffee.
- An afternoon to myself to go to yoga.
- To not have to think about dinner and have it organized for the whole family to eat together.
Our Alberta baskets are filled with local products from some of our favourite vendors, including:
- The deliciously scented Geranium and Sweet Orange Bath Soak from Everyone
- Large bottle of essential oil scented castille soap, bar soap, and toothpaste from Dr. Bronners
- Assorted organic chocolate bars from Camino
- Gardeners Dream Cream from Aroma Crystal Therapy
- Shower bombs, bath bombs, and essential oils from Eden Essentials
- Assorted chocolate bars from Natural Kitchen Delights
To enter the contest all you have to do is comment on our Instagram or Facebook contest post to tell us how you would spend a perfect Mother’s Day. Or if you’re not a mother, tell us one thing you love about your mom. We know, we know, it’ll be hard to narrow it down. That’s it! We’ll randomly select two winners in BC, one in Calgary, and one in Edmonton. The winners will be announced May 12th, and the prize delivered the following week.
You must live within SPUD’s delivery area to order, but you do not need to be a SPUD customer.