When I was a kid and being from a British family, one of the things I particularly enjoyed was sausage rolls. Of course, now they are a distant memory, however, I have created something that comes close to them and are equally as delicious: mushroom rolls!
2 T. olive oil
1 onion finely chopped
2 sticks celery finely chopped
1 lb mushrooms diced
1 T. nutritional yeast
3 cloves garlic
2 T. Chives and Garlic Spread Em (or other vegan cream cheese substitute)
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
2 T. soy sauce
1 package of puff pastry (suitable for vegans)
Cashew milk for brushing.
- Preheat oven to 400 Degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat oil in pan. Fry onion, garlic and celery for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add mushrooms, salt, pepper, nutritional yeast to the pan, and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add soy sauce and Spread Em and cook for a further minute before removing pan from heat.
- Sprinkle flour onto work surface and roll out pastry into 2 rectangles (each approx. 4” x 12”) Cut each rectangle in half again to be 4” x 6” and trim edges with a knife for straight sides.
- Spoon mushroom mixture into one half of the first pastry rectangle, leaving a small gap from the side and bottom edges.
- Brush a little cashew milk along the edges.
- Fold the top half of the pastry over to meet the other side and press down along the edges with your fingers.
- Press down with a fork along the side and bottom edges. Using a knife, create 3 small incisions in each roll.
- Repeat steps 6 to 9 for the rest of the pastry rectangles.
- Brush the top of the rolls with cashew milk and bake in oven for 20 minutes.
|ADD THESE ITEMS TO YOUR CART!|