Did you know that zucchinis have been cultivated for more than 7000 years? This summer squash originated from South America thousands of years ago, and was primarily reaped for its seeds. However, the zucchinis we see today are very different in resemblance and are actually developed near Milan in Italy during the 19th century.
Are zucchinis good for you?
Zucchini has since become one of the most popular vegetables—although, technically, it’s actually a fruit—in the world. It is known for its nutritional values and culinary versatility. Zucchinis are great for the immune system as they are rich in antioxidants and vitamin C. They are also high in a special fibre called pectin, which has been linked to enhanced cardiovascular health, lowered cholesterol level, and reduced risk of diabetes. Pectin fibre also has great anti-inflammatory properties, which is key to maintaining a healthy gut. And of course, fibre is crucial for improved digestion!
They make dishes of wide culinary diversity.
It’s almost impossible not to mention zucchini’s culinary prowess. This vegetable can be used for just about anything! From zucchini pizza crust to zoodles to the traditional French dish, ratatouille, zucchinis are pervasive in many cultures and cuisines. Because they are harvested immature, zucchinis retain a fresh, crisp, and juicy flavour and texture. This means that they taste amazing raw, steamed, boiled, grilled, baked, or even battered and deep-fried!
Try these delicious and juicy deep-fried zucchini sticks!
What you need:
2 medium zucchinis cut lengthwise into 3-inch pieces
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs beaten
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 cup breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
Vegetable/peanut oil for deep-frying
Tzatziki dip for serving
How to prepare:
- In a pan, heat up 2 inches of vegetable or peanut oil.
- In a dish, mix the flour, salt, and black pepper. In a second dish, pour in just the beaten eggs. In a third dish, add just the breadcrumbs.
- In the same order, immerse the zucchini sticks in all mixtures and ingredients.
- Place 4-6 zucchini sticks at a time in the hot oil and deep-fry until they are crispy and golden brown.
- Take the zucchini sticks out of the oil and place on a plate of paper towels to soak up excess oil.
- Sprinkle chopped fresh parsley over the sticks and serve them with a delicious tzatziki dip!
There are so many ways to prepare this squash. Check out some of our other recipes. How do you like your zucchini? Share with us your favourite recipes of this squash.