A delicious winter salad you can easily adapt to suit whatever you have in your fridge!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 3
- 200g/9oz mixed salad leaves or baby leaf spinach
- 55g/2oz walnut pieces
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 100g/3 ½ oz blue cheese
- 2 medium pears (100g/3 ½ oz)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Put the walnut pieces into a small pan with the sugar. Heat gently, stirring continuously, for 2-3 minutes until the sugar melts. Turn the nuts out onto a plate to stop further cooking.
- Core and slice the pears, and put into a bowl with the lemon juice to prevent them from discolouring. Crumble or slice the cheese.
- Divide the salad leaves between four serving plates (or make one large salad to share). Arrange the cheese, pears and walnuts on top. Dress each plate with half a tablespoon of olive oil and serve immediately.
Make with apples, use feta or smoked cheddar instead of blue cheese (but blue cheese is the best!).
Add a pinch of flaked sea salt to the walnuts and sugar before heating.